AGAWAM – Monday morning’s fire that killed a resident of a Springfield Street mobile home was accidental and linked to a combination of bed smoking and the presence of medical oxygen, a statement from city officials says and the state fire marshal.

The 4:30 a.m. fire at the mobile home park at 74 Springfield St. destroyed the mobile home and killed the only resident. As of Tuesday afternoon, the name of the deceased had not been disclosed to the press.

The cause of the fire was determined following an investigation by the Agawam Fire and Police Department, the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the affected State Police detectives. at the Hampden District Attorney’s Office.

The use of medical oxygen has created what has been called an “oxygen-rich environment” inside the chamber, and oxygen levels in the air, as well as on clothing and furniture make it easier. the start and spread of a fire.

Agawam Fire Chief Alan Sirois said people using medical oxygen should keep it at least 10 feet from any open flame or heat source. “There is no safe way to smoke around home oxygen,” he said.

Fire Marshal Peter S. Ostroskey said over the past decade there have been 10 deaths and 45 injuries in fires in residences using medical oxygen. People who need medical oxygen should not smoke cigarettes, he said.

Sirois said the house also did not have working smoke detectors. The only alarm that was found did not have a functioning battery.

Agawam has had two fatal house fires in the past eight months and each involved poor disposal of smoking materials and a lack of working smoke detectors, he said.

About The Author

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.