Ebbsfleet overcame a young side from Bromley in the Kent Senior Cup on Wednesday night – but the progress came at a cost.

Midfielder Alfie Egan lasted just six minutes as a second-half substitute before hobbling with a knee injury.

Ebbsfleet midfielder Alfie Egan. Photo: Ed Miller/EUFC (55088643)

“I’m really worried right now,” Kutrieb said. “I think it’s serious, he said, he twisted his knee. I am worried because he is an important player for us.

“That’s what you never want to see in a game of football. Hope it’s not too serious…we’ll carry on as we have with other injuries.

It was far from convincing from a Fleet side packed with players keen to claim the National League South starters title against Eastbourne on Saturday.

But if it was a step to impress, then many missed their auditions, a late – and deserved – equalizer from Bromley meaning the tie was finally settled on penalties.

Defenders Sido Jombati and Sefa Kahraman as well as goalkeeper Chris Haigh all made mistakes in the first half hour which went unpunished by Bromley.

Elliott Romain headed an early wide chance before the Fleet took a 28th-minute lead when Shaquile Coulthirst showed clever footwork on the edge of the box before scoring his second goal in as many games.

It took a fine save from Haigh to deprive Ben Krauhaus and preserve the advantage of the Fleet at the break.

A double change saw Will Wood – who took an early cut to his forehead – and Coulthirst replaced by Michael West and Ashley Nathaniel-George at half-time.

Lee Martin saw a long-range effort knocked down by Bromley keeper Ellery Balcombe but it was the hosts who pushed to equalise, particularly once Fleet had to play the final 17 minutes with 10 men having used all of their substitutions when Egan left the field.

Martin gave the free-kick which saw Bromley level things five minutes from time, with hometown captain Jack Cawley sending his left-footed shot through the defensive wall and past Haigh.

Without extra time, the game went straight to penalties. Martin put the first fleet penalty in the parking lot. That miss seemed to be undone when Palace Francis took Bromley’s second spot kick and saw it saved by Haigh.

But an outlandish delay – which had already seen Fleet’s next penalty taker put the ball on the spot – eventually meant a replay and Francis made no mistakes the second time around.

It was all square after Bromley’s Marcus Sablier hit the post but another rebound saw Fleet lucky when Kahraman’s spot kick was saved and he converted on the second request.

Both teams had taken eight penalties by the time Bromley missed their second penalty, with goalkeeper Balcombe seeing his set piece by his counterpart to send the fleet through.

Adam Mekki, Jack Paxman, Nathaniel-George, Kieran Monlouis, Jombati and Michael West also had success from the spot for Ebbsfleet, who will now travel to Folkestone in the quarter-finals.