Have you ever wondered what do you really need for a baby? Like the baby must have and not necessarily all the gadgets and cool stuff that people say you “need”.
Today my husband and I were talking about when our children were babies. I started going through all of our old photo albums with the kids and three hours laterâ¦ we had pictures everywhere!
Baby must have
In these photos I saw all the baby things we had and realized how much I didn’t need themâ¦. and how much I did! I wish I had a mom who could tell me what babies really need at this momentâ¦
Because as a new momâ¦ I had no idea. I just bought all the baby products that I thought were cute or that my friends or the internet said I must have. While these baby items can be cool, I’ve learned that a lot of them aren’t baby essentialsâ¦ just desires that may or may not be used.
Today we bring the baby must have items for all newborn needs. As any mom-to-be (and dad-to-be) knows, shopping for a newborn baby can be overwhelming.
Where do you start? There are so many products online and in the store that it can be difficult to choose (or register) what is needed, what is wanted and what is, in the end, completely unnecessary.
So here are the baby essentials you need to add to your baby registry checklist!
NOTE: It can get expensive if you buy for the store. Sign up for what you can and don’t be afraid to check out the lightly used items. I was always online looking for a sweater or a baby carrier! ð
- Infant car seat
- Baby monitor (I loved my video monitor!)
- Stroller (one large and one umbrella stroller)
- Cradle or basket when the baby is born (we kept it in the living room)
- Cot with sheets and mattress
- Changing table / chest of drawers
- Changing bag
More things needed for newborns
While not necessary, they can make a nursery much more comfortable.
- Night light and mobile
- Additional sheet sets (trust me on this one!)
- Dirty laundry basket to keep in the nursery (again trust me)
- Bookcase, chest of drawers or other storage center for baby towels, clothes, etc. – be sure to lock them into the wall to prevent them from tipping or falling.
- Glider / Rocker for Nighttime Feeding (Get a comfortable one. You’ll be glad you did!)
Essentials for newborns
Newborns, while as cute as they can get, spend most of their time sleeping. However, when they are not sleeping soundly, they often need a diet or a change.
It is so important to be prepared with these essentials for diapers, nutrition and bathing. Refuel now to avoid midnight shopping at the store later.
- Baby bath
- 2 soft washcloths, 2 soft towels
- Baby lotion, baby shower gel (like Johnson and Johnson)
- Baby grooming set including nails, scissors, brush, comb
- multiple packs of newborn diapers (buy one of the next size because it happens so fast!)
- Baby wipes, baby rash cream or diaper cream
- Diaper Genie or bucket for dirty diapers
- Changing table
- Nursing pillow
- Breast pumps and breast pads (if breastfeeding)
- 6 bottles and 6 nipples, a nipple brush, a bottle brush and a preparation (if bottle-feeding)
- Thermal bottle holder
- Sterilization equipment
You might be wondering why the baby lotion is here. Surely that’s not that important, I meant most of us don’t even use lotion. However, it is the best thing after baths and just before bed.
Baby’s skin is very sensitive, and my child was very sensitive, so we want to avoid dry skin as it can make your little one difficult.
Newborn Clothes Checklist
Most new parents can’t help but buy a whole stack of cute little outfits for their little one. You should have seen my closet from the time the pregnancy test said, “You are pregnant!”
However, babies grow very quickly, so it’s important to keep the budget down and buy only what a newborn baby needs.
- 6 sleepsuits
- 6 pairs of slippers
- 5 baby sleepers
- 2 hats (newborns wear a lot of hats, especially if the baby arrives early – this keeps them warm)
- 3 washable bibs
- Cardigans and jackets (depending on the season)
- Multiple blankets, including reception blankets
- Burp cloths
- Sleeping bags are great if you are afraid of blankets
Items to keep for later
These items aren’t essential for a newborn baby, but you’ll want them later.
- High chair
- Travel cot or Pack n Play
Baby must have after birth
Not all babies are the same. While we can create a general essential baby list, there are things YOUR baby needs that someone else doesn’t. Some of these things can be:
- Sound Machine for those who have trouble sleeping (white noise)
- Clogged nose wipes (like Booger wipes, they are soft and non-irritating)
- Ergo or Moby Wrap baby carrier (my second child did NOT want to be fitted)
Additional tips for first-time moms
Remember what I said about buying used or giving gifts to a friend? I have found that Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and even Garage Sales can be a parent’s best friend. (Don’t forget to get together in an open space, of course.) Often times, parents sell their almost new items for next to nothing.
Good shopping! Happy parenting!
Looking for more baby stuff? We have so much for a new parent:
Does your baby not want to sleep in the crib? Is it the cradle mattress? Too dark? We can help you with these crib ideas.
We have created a convenient travel system that will make flying with a baby easier.
Your baby will not drink from a bottle? Do not panic! We can help you understand why your baby is refusing formula.
Make a safe space for your baby by protecting your home.
As a first-time mom, you might be wondering when should a baby start talking? We have the answer.
Here is a very good idea! We are so focused on our little baby that we forget about ourselves. Remember to take care of yourself too!
Eventually your new baby is starting to grow and that means teething! Here are some tips for getting started.